Sheriff Christopher Jay Moss
More than 29 years of distinguished service in law enforcement, including a background in administration, management, training, team building and leadership. Highly self-motivated with strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills. PC literate with Microsoft Word, E-Justice, E-mail and Internet applications. Areas of expertise include:
- Human Resource Development
- Investigation/Search Procedures
- Relationship Management
- Security/Emergency Response
- Evidence Collection/Protection
- Community Relations/Affairs
- Strategic Planning
CHEMUNG COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE, Elmira, New York1989 to Present
- Manage Chemung County Sheriff’s office, including 150 employees across 4 divisions, a $13.5M annual budget and a 264-bed correctional facility.
- Responsible for the overall public safety of a county consisting of 412 square miles and 88,000 residents.
- Implement numerous community service programs, including those aimed at methamphetamine awareness and enforcement, senior citizens safety, and retail safety.
- Interact with numerous local political and community representatives including County Executive, County Treasurer, Chemung County Legislature, local state Senate and Assembly representatives, and representatives from local municipalities.
- Became one of ~20 NY State Sheriffs to achieve accreditation for the county jail, as determined by the NY State Sheriffs Association.
- Directed the activities of seven staff members and accountable for training, development, scheduling and performance evaluations.
- Coordinated and manage plans to effectively respond to emergencies.
- Provided back-up and supervision during road patrol.
- Promoted through a series of increasingly responsible positions.
- Second in command, high-profile position; oversaw investigators and support personnel to ensure compliance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Conducted investigations of felony crimes, including homicides, fatal motor vehicle accidents, burglaries, arson and narcotics.
- Taught classes at the Southern Tier Law Enforcement Academy on a variety of topics: Stress Management, Penal Law, Criminal Procedure Law and Human Relations.
- Ordered and maintained inventory of all equipment for the Division.
- Interviewed and interrogated criminal suspects, collected and preserved evidence.
- Performed comprehensive background investigations on prospective employees.
- Compiled detailed reports for grand jury and court presentations.
- Investigated both criminal and non-criminal incidents reported by the public.
- Executed high-risk warrants as a member of the agency’s Special Services Unit.
- Patrolled county-owned parking facilities and reviewed pistol permit applications.
- Provided safety and security for patients, personnel and facilities. Monitored and maintained surveillance system.
Awards & Achievements
- Edmond C. Wilkins Award for Professionalism in Law Enforcement (2003)
- Laverne W. Knowlden Law Enforcement Officer of the Year (1994)
- Meritorious Achievement Award (1993 & 2003)
- Special Traffic Options Program Officer of the Year (1991-1993)
- Honorable Service Award (2004, 2003, 1991)
- Grand Cordon Citation (1990)
- Co-authored Department of Homeland Security counter-terrorism grant.
- Initiated a successful neighborhood watch program in the Town of Ashland.
- Established and maintained outstanding professional relationships with various local and surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Contributed to high staff morale and motivation resulting in cohesive and productive teams.
- Republican/Conservative Nominee for New York State Lt. Governor (2014)
Marist College2011 – 2012
Master’s in Public Administration
SUNY Empire State College2009 - 2010
B.S. Community and Human Services (Concentration Criminal Justice)
Expected graduation date – December 2010
FBI National Academy - Quantico, Virginia2000
Corning Community College – Corning, NY1997
A.A.S. Criminal Justice
Southern Tier Law Enforcement Academy1989 Basic Course for Police Officers
Additional Post-Academy Coursework:
- Executive Development Seminar (2003)
- Counter Terrorism Intelligence Officer’s Awareness Course (2003)
- Instructor Development Course (2004, 1998)
- Counter Terrorism Instructor Certification Course - New York State, Department of Criminal Justice Services (2003)
- Domestic Violence (1997)
- Police Supervision (1996)
- Examining Computers as a Crime Tool (1996)
- Crime Scene Investigation Techniques (1996)
- Identi Kit III (1995)
- Basic Interrogation and Interview Tactics (1994)
- Death Investigation (1994)
- K-9 Training and Handling (1990)
- Highway Drug Interdiction (1988)
- Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness (1988)
- Emergency Control of Hazardous Materials Incidents I (1988)
- Member, Board of Directors, Arctic League (2004 – Present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Chemung County Family Services, Inc. (2006 – 2012)
- Member, Executive Board of Directors, NY State Sheriffs Association (2007 – Present)
- President, Chemung County Deputy Sheriff’s Association (1995-2000)
- Advisory Board Member, Salvation Army (1999-2003)
- Member, Chemung County Republican Committee (2001 – Present)
- Board of Directors New York State Association of Counties (2012 – Present)
Return to the top